Generally account openings take one to three business days. At busier times of the year, please allow more time for processing. We will reach out to you by email if we have any questions regarding details of your application.
No, we do not ask for a minimum initial deposit to open an account.
Once you submit your application, please allow up to one to three business days for us to approve your application and open your account. Here are a few things to keep in mind to make sure your application is processed as quickly as possible:
- Ensure the photo identification you provide is clearly visible and has not expired.
- Your secondary ID documents such as bank statements, hydro bills, phone bills etc. should be valid and sent in a clear manner. More information is provided in the online application.
- Enter your legal land address, not your mailing address or PO Box
- Double check that you’ve entered your date of birth correctly
- Ensure your name and citizenship or residency are properly entered and are consistent with the photo ID provided
- Complete all areas of the Employer and Source of Income sections
Yes, regulators require that we have a signature on file before we open a customer account.
When you log in for the first time, you will be asked to:
- create a new Trading Password (minimum 8 characters with a capital letter and a special symbol)
- create 5 security questions for future password reset and
- register for free real-time quotes
Customers’ accounts are protected by the Canadian Investor Protection Fund within specified limits. A brochure describing the nature and limits of coverage is available upon request or at www.cipf.ca.
You must be permanently residing in Canada in order to have an account at Qtrade Investor. Even if you are a Canadian living outside of Canada, we are unable to open an account for you.
Unfortunately, no. You must be of legal age in the province you live in to open an account with us. You are however welcome to start an RRSP or TFSA at your financial institution and transfer it when you reach the age of majority. Alternatively, your parents can open an informal trust account on your behalf. The account will be in their name but made available for you when you are of legal age.
Determine who will be the primary owner and the secondary owner for the account, and make sure you have a valid email address for each person. The primary owner will begin the application by clicking on Open an Account. When they have completed their portion of the application, an email will go to the secondary account owner to complete the application using their own login information.
Yes. Currently business account applications must be printed and mailed to our office along with the supporting documents requested in the application. You can find the application in the forms section. Or you can have them emailed to you by downloading the application. Since they are mailed, please allow time for us to receive and process the application; which typically takes one to two weeks. If we have questions, we will reach out to you by email to clarify. Our fee and commission schedule are the same for both corporate and personal accounts.
We understand the private nature of this information; however, it is required. We only gather the minimum amount of information required to meet our compliance rules as it applies to the stock exchanges, CRA and other regulatory bodies.